Taken from a painting of Kapiti Island at Sunset.
by Sonia Savage.

Monday, September 17, 2012

It's Monday - What are You Reading?


t is Monday and again I am joining in the meme over at Mentor Texts.
Hop on over and join in over at the Mentor Text Blog. Just click on the picture 
                                                 
I managed two novels this week - mainly because they were short ones and I liked them so I had a bit of oomph to read them. They were:
Newbery winner - Island of the Blue Dophins by Scott O'Dell.  I didn't really expect to 'like' this one but I did.  There is something about a book that explores resilience and making it against the odds in the natural environment.









Another Newbery winner - Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George.  Well I didn't really expect o get wrapped up in this one either, but I did.  Again it explored resilience and making it in an environment with no other humans close. Both books had that feel of Hatchet by Gary Paulson.  I read this book in a day and I think sometime in the future I would like to read the follow up to this book.

While I am not the sort to want to face into the situations these two characters faced - believe me I wouldn't survive- however they both challenged me to be more resilient in the wild frontiers of my own life!



I also read Chapter 2 of 10 Things Every Writer Needs to Know which was about using mentor texts.  This chapter gave me more insight into using mentor texts and the way the author shared how he - Jeff Anderson - uses them has made me realise I need to do more of this, it will be a goal for my new school  year in 2013.  I'm from New Zealand remember, our school year closes in December.

What might I read this coming week, well I'm waiting on books, so I think I will read what I have sitting here: Let The Circle Be Unbroken by Mildred D. Taylor, the sequel to Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry.  The Scopio Races by Maggie Stievater has just arrived from Scholastic book club, so may also get into that.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Kathryn. It's hard to believe you are getting to the close of your school year. I hope you'll share some of the ways you do close, especially at the holidays, then into summer, right? I too have liked the two books you shared. They are still read by students & enjoyed here at our school, too. And, I loved The Scorpio Races-hope you do too. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, yes last leg coming into sight, although a little way to yet. Hoping to love Scorpio Races, already a little bogged down in Let The Circle Be Unbroken.

      Delete
  2. I still recommend Julie of the Wolves-- after the first chapter or so, it's really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved Scorpio Races, too so I hope you will enjoy it.
    Island of Blue Dolphins is one of my favorite childhood books but I didn't like Julie of the Wolves nearly as much as I liked My Side of the Mountain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember my sixth grade teacher reading Island of the Blue Dolphins! I still haven't read Julie of the Wolves. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the entire Julie of the Wolves series, but haven't read it yet. I've read O'Dell's Island of the Blue Dolphins before, and I remember loving it. :) Your post reminds me that we haven't done much headway on our Newbery Medal challenge yet. Oh dear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed Island of the Blue Dolphins more than Julie of the Wolves, but they are both very interesting books. Still super popular among the kids at my library. The Scorpio Races is an amazing novel. I admired it more than I loved it, but I still think it's one of the most accomplished YA novels I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two awesome books - my sixth graders have loved these over the years so much that we had to get new copies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julie of the Wolves will be a re-read for me from childhood when I get there, but I do recall enjoying it. Glad it held up on the adult reading of it! :)

    I have yet to get to Scorpio Races. Many I know really enjoyed it.

    Have a great week!

    Lorna

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was a classic book week for you! :) Don't you wish you could write words that have such an impact that they're still being read generations later? (Or maybe you can, and it's just me who wishes that :P)

    Best wishes as you close out your school year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haven't read those books yet but I've heard of Island of the Blue Dophins. Hope you enjoyed them.

    Lei

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...